Since Outlook 2003, it is possible to manage multiple PST files in the left navigation panel of the Outlook, so you can use Outlook to split a large PST file into several smaller ones, as follows:
- First of all, make a backup your original large PST file for the sake of safety.
- Then you need to know the size of the large PST file and estimate number of split files you want to create to accommodate the contents of the large PST file.
- Start Outlook.
- Make sure the original large PST file is opened and accessible in the left navigation panel.
- Create several new empty PST files as the split files. These files should also be accessible in the left navigation panel.
- Estimate the batch of items you want to put in the first split file, then select them in the large PST file, and then move them to the first split file.
- Check the size of the first split file. If its size is OK, then you can continue with the next split file, otherwise, you may need to move more items from the large PST file to the first split file again.
- Repeat step 7 until the size of the first split file has reaches the expected size.
- Then you have finished the first split file and should go to the next one.
- Repeat step 6 to 9 until all the items in the large PST file have been moved to the split files.
There are some disadvantages in using Outlook to split a large PST file:
- Outlook 2003 or higher versions support to do so. For Outlook 2002 or lower versions, since the user cannot access the contents of several PST files at the same time, you cannot split with the above procedure.
- You must be able to access the contents in the large PST file from Outlook. If your PST file is corrupt or cannot be opened because of the 2GB oversize problem, then you cannot use the above method.
- It is a little hard to control the size of the split PST file. You need to try many times until it meets your requirements.
With DataNumen Outlook Repair, you can split the large PST file into smaller ones automatically, without worrying about all the above disadvantages.